Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Day 1 of Flight Attendant Training

Today was my 1st day of training, and it was a very long and interesting day. It startted at about 0445 this morning when I was awakened 15 minutes before my alarm was to go off by the alarm on the elevator door - how annoying!! Got up and got myself all ready, suit and all. Spent my extra time praciticing the boarding announcement that was going to make or break this training. I said it over, and over, and then I did it over again. Met Lindsay and Xiomara for the breakfast which consisted of a banana and a glass of orange juice thanks to some serious nerves. We hopped on the shuttle and made our way to the ASA building. The instructors did their introductions and talked a little about class, then on to the written test. I don't know how I did on the test yet, but it must have been better than 90%, because I am still here. There were others who didn't do so well, although they got a little lucky because there was some sort of error with the test and we all had to re-take it, and I think that saved these people, thank god. Immediately after the written test the instructors called us 1 by 1 to do the oral boading announcement. I think I was like the 2nd or 3rd person. I was SO SCARED - anyone who knows me, knows that my biggest fear is puplic speaking, and knowing that I needed to get 100% on this or my career with ASA was over was causing me to have a major panic attack. I had to take several deep breaths and really focus on easing my nerves before I could even begin. But the instructor I had was super awesome and very patient and supportive. I got through the announcement and he told me I did great, I said so I'm not going home? And he assured me that I wasn't - Oh my God, what a relief that was!! There were 2 people that weren't so lucky, and we lost them on day 1.
The rest of my 11.5 hour day was spend with things like paperwork, pictures for badges, more paperwork, and orientation from the lady from H.R. - the day seemed to take forever. I think the fact tht I was almost comatose from lack of sleep made it even worse.
Bu the good news is..... I'm still here! Now on to what I hope is a good night's sleep, and be ready for day 2!!

No comments:

Post a Comment